I’ve made this spiced lentil & tomato soup recipe today, as I’m a little perturbed the weather has turned chilly again! It had the desired effect of warming me up from the inside out! Delicious, low fat, low calorie and very healthy, why not give it a try, it’s really very simple, if I can make it anyone can!
As I’m trying to be good, to prevent the waistline from expanding any further, I left out the sour cream but I’m sure it would be a lovely addition, especially if you are making this for friends or family. I just so happened to have some basil in the fridge, so did chuck that on the top, I wouldn’t say it’s necessary though, so don’t go and buy some specially.
Spiced Lentil & Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 green or red chilli, chopped
- 200g (7 oz) red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 225ml (8 fl oz) water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons soured cream to garnish (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh basil to garnish (optional)
Prep:5min › Cook:25min › Ready in:30min
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Lightly brown the onions in the oil. Add the tomatoes, chilli (to taste), lentils, cumin and basil to the pan along with the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- When the lentils have softened, use a hand held blender to purée the soup (to how you personally like it). Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a special touch, garnish each bowl with a dollop of soured cream and a sprig of fresh basil.
There you go, a two step recipe for spiced lentil & tomato soup! It doesn’t get much easier, it’s very filling and will keep you going until dinner time.