Here we share some clever beauty tips, courtesy of Brightside, there are some extremely helpful and surprising tips in here, so well worth a read, you might just find the answer to a beauty dilemma you’ve struggled with for years! I couldn’t resist adding some of my own comments (in purple) and added some links to other helpful articles.
We all want to look our very best in every situation. Whether that be a date, a night out with the girls or even a visit to the gym. Unfortunately, living the crazy busy lives most of us have, we never seem to find time for ourselves.
That’s where these clever beauty tips come in
Bright Side’s clever beauty tips could make your life a whole lot easier, save you time, energy and money.
- Cinnamon and peppermint essential oils are very effective in making your lips appear fuller and brighter. If you are not allergic to these ingredients, you can simply add a few drops of them to your lip balm or lip gloss.
- Coconut and olive oils are great for removing water-resistant makeup. Try this trick and you’ll see that washing your makeup off is easy, even without a face cleanser.
- If your foundation is too thick, you can thin it out by adding some of your favorite moisturizer to it. You can also intensify your too-light foundation by mixing it with some liquid bronzer. I already mix my under eye concealer with a little bit of eye cream and have also mixed my foundation with moisturiser when it’s got a little thicker near the end of the bottle, it does work a treat! Here’s a link to a moisturiser both Lucy and I use by Nurture Replenish CLICK HERE TO BUY YOURS.
- If you want a fresh, dewy complexion, apply a little bit of cream highlighter on the most prominent parts of your face (nose bridge, cheekbones, chin, center of forehead). In order to visually lift your eyebrows and eyelids, apply a highlighter above the eyebrows and blend it towards your forehead.
- When it comes to getting glowing, radiant skin, mix one tablespoon of baking soda to your gel face wash or cleansing milk. Apply this mixture on your face, gently massage it for a few seconds, and then wash it off with warm water. Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a week. Or you could use a really good, but gentle, exfoliator 2 or 3 times a week, why not try Forever Living Aloe Facial Scrub, a personal favourite of mine.
- When your favorite mascara starts getting dry, you can revive it by adding a few drops of saline solution to the tube or by placing it in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes. A friend also mentioned they had bent the mascara wand to be able to reach the sides of the bottle, which helped it last longer too!
- You don’t have to throw away your broken powder makeup (powder, eye shadow or blush). In fact, you can easily fix it. Just add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the compact, smooth the powder and alcohol with a knife and let it dry overnight. The next day, all the alcohol will have evaporated and you won’t have to buy new makeup. RUBBING ALCOHOL what’s that? I’ve looked it up, as I’ve thrown away so many half used blushers and bronzers due to breakage, apparently RUBBING ALCOHOL is not sold in the UK – you want to know why? Because we might drink it!! We really have got an alcohol problem in this country if that’s the case! It’s sold in supermarkets and drug stores in the USA, they’re obviously not as desperate as us! That said, I have managed to find it for sale on good old Amazon, this is the right stuff to fix our make-up and is cheap so will save you money not having to replace your make-up so early! Click here to buy from Amazon Rubbing Alcohol.
- If some of your favorite polishes have become hard to open, too thick, or difficult to apply, try fixing it with hot water. Place the bottle in very hot water for a few minutes, then take it out, shake, and apply on your nails while it is still warm.
- Twist your hair and cut all the stray hairs that are sticking out. This is a great way to get rid of split ends at home without going to a hair salon. Another tip from yester year but it’s a great tip for a quick tidy up before your next hair appointment!
- Hairspray works great to tame your eyebrows and keep them in place. Spray a little hairspray on an old mascara wand and run it across your eyebrows. Please ensure you use an old mascara wand – DO NOT SPRAY YOUR EYEBROWS DIRECTLY!!
- Baby powder or cornstarch are perfect for using as a dry shampoo. Use this trick when you need to refresh your hair quickly. My sister used to use talcum powder in her hair when she was a teenager, good to see she was ahead of her time! Slightly worried about cornstarch, surely if it rains it will thicken in your hair???
- In order to create vertical curls, twist sections of hair and iron from the roots towards the ends with your straightener. Then spray your hair with hairspray.
- A classic skincare cream applied to the ends of your hair before going to bed will make your hair shiny and smooth. As will the likes of Argan Oil – Life Begins At are just reviewing a new brand from Moroccana, so watch this space for a review!
- In order to prevent blisters when you’re wearing new shoes, apply some clear deodorant on your feet or use a crumbly powder. Wish I’d known this last time I wore new shoes, I had a nasty blister, will certainly be trying this one out!
- Warm your eyelash curlers with a hairdryer for a few seconds before using them. This trick will help you keep your lashes curled longer. Or do what I recently did and get yourself an Eyelash Lift & Tint (click on the underlined text to find out more, I’ve booked in for my second treatment as I LOVED them so much!
- When doing your nails, use Vaseline around your nails. The excess polish comes off easily once it’s dry. Like it, I don’t have a very steady hand (for those who know me, no jokes about alcohol please) and often get a bit of polish on the skin around my nails, I’ll definitely be trying this out next time I paint my nails.
- Paint your nails with your base color. Then attach tape with holes firmly and apply a different colored polish. Let the polish dry and remove the tape. Your nail design is ready! Enjoy! OK I’m not really feeling this one, how am I getting the holes in the tape, perhaps one for those of you with more patience than me! If you do it, send us a picture!
- Softly rub Vaseline all over your perfume points before applying fragrance and your scent will last longer. Worth a try – anything which keeps a fragrance lasting longer is good by me.
- Pimples always seem to show up at a time when you need them the least. Don’t panic! Soak cotton pads in eye drops, put them in the freezer for a few minutes, and then gently press the cotton pad on top of the spot. In 20 minutes, your blood vessels will contract, thereby taking away the redness and bringing down inflammation. Interesting, I always seem to get a spot the day I’ve got a big event or need to have my photo taken! This could be a lifesaver (OK that’s a bit extreme but it could help me feel more confident).
Hopefully you’ll find some of these clever beauty tips useful or at least interesting. It’s amazing what some people come up with. They won’t all be for you, but if we can help you make your favourite makeup last longer it will have been worth sharing! Oh and please don’t drink rubbing alcohol, it really isn’t good for you!!!!