‘Life Begins At’ aim is to empower and inspire women to embrace change, go outside comfort zones and to search and discover passions beyond 40. This comes from personal experience, after hitting Peri-Menopause Diane and I both experienced a sense of confusion about who we were and what was left to come. We’re still rookies at this blogging game and to discover a network of supportive women also putting themselves out there is real a boost to the confidence, never more so than The ‘Hope sponsored 30-40 Blogger Meet‘ we attended this week in London….
30 – 40+ Blogger Meet
A blogger meet organised and hosted by the rather wonderful Catherine from ‘Not Dressed as Lamb‘ and sponsored by ‘Hope Fashion‘, a newly launched brand of fabulous fashion wear specifically aimed at the 40/50+ women. And hosted at The Imperial restaurant, bar and garden in a stunning Victorian building in the heart of Chelsea. We arrived to be greeted with a glass of prosecco and a rather lovely goodie bag – 47 years old and still super excited by sparkle, tissue paper and pretty colours! They contained fabulous gifts including:
- A beautiful, sparkly wrap bracelet from Lizzy O: Lizzy O sells a collection of quality Danon jewellery, which is handcrafted in Israel – I was already a fan, as bought a bee charm bracelet a few weeks ago (which I just adore!)
- A Laura Geller waterproof eyeliner: Having used it a couple of time I love, it provides a luxurious texture and soft colour. I’m new to the brand but they state their approach to make-up is to empower and brings out the best in womans beauty, through innovative textures and formulas…. That certainly resonates.
- A Burt’s Bee shimmer lip balm: Not used as yet but who doesn’t love Burt’s Bee products, an ethical and natural brand so very much looking forward to giving my lips a treat.
- A sample of Verso Super Eye Serum: Containing Retinol 8. Looking forward to testing this out on my crowfeet lines!
- I Love… Lemon Sorbet: A refreshing body spritzer, having sensitive skin I’m nervous about putting anything on that’s not organic and natural, but it’s smells beautiful and will make a lovely gift for one of my lucky friends.
The Day’s Activities:
Much mingling, chatting and laughing, with so many awesome women in attendance there was plenty of inspirational stories of challenges, life changes and chasing dreams to keep Diane & I enthralled… right up ‘Life Begins At’ street! Followed by a scrumpious lunch, with more fun and frolics – I sat next to Yvonne a Kiwi, living in Zürich and fashion and lifestyle blogger from FunkyForty…. She had me in stitches, do checkout her site and you’ll see from her profile photo, she’s a real character with great style.
The host Catherine presented a Q&A session on how to win at blogging, throwing up some brilliant insight into keeping it real and relevant for our readers including:
LOVED this, thank you Catherine…. Exposing personal content can feel mighty uncomfortable, something we’ve definitely experienced as cover very personal subjects; menopause and breast cancer journeys for example! But for us it’s important we share those challenges to help breakdown societies taboos and ultimately help others in similar situations. It’s about to get juicer as I’m currently writing a piece on weak pelvic floors and leakage, which is due to be featured in the Mirror along with my photo (no hiding!) But as my husband said when asked if I should do it? “If you want to be a maverick and raise awareness of ‘taboo’ womans health issues, you’ve gotta be brave and put yourself out there!” He’s dead right.
Hope Fashion was recently launched by Nayna McIntosh, who’s ex M&S to provide a much needed range of clothes specially designed for women like Diane & I, in our forties tired of trying to find clothes that fit beautifully, with consistent sizing and are not generic high street!
Nayna is such an inspiration, she shared the Hope conception story, the company ethos and aspirations, but I can’t go into too much detail as Diane is writing a specific article on Hope Fashion and the interview we had with Nayna (she’s an incredible woman) but I do urge you to checkout their website.
We had an opportunity to try on the beautiful range, experiencing first hand the quality and fit. Here’s me lending my silver Vans to Sharron from ‘Keeping it Fabulous‘ – checkout her site, she’s a talented photographer so the images are stunning and you’ll read some great articles too.
Generously Hope kindly gifted us each a BEAUTIFUL merino cashmere poncho, which gifted me more than just the poncho, pink is a colour I would’ve never have chosen, but I really LOVE it and it’s given me the confidence to think outside of my colour comfort zone so “Thank you” Hope and Nayna. (I will share a photo as soon as I’ve the opportunity)
The ModelKT Work Bag – It’s Blooming Lush!!
I want to talk about another inspirational lady we met Jennifer Hamely, a British independent handbag designer who took a leap of faith to follow her creative dream and “design for the stylish, high-performing women of today – Women who live life by their own rules, who work hard & follow their dreams”….. With that as her motivation you know before you even see the bags they’ll be awesome and believe me they truly are! She’s a two-time winner at the Independent Handbag Designer Awards too, accolade indeed.
Watch out for a next weeks post on Jen and her AWESOME bags, I’ve already pledge to buy a ModelKT, (but don’t tell Teear!)
So, at our first ever ‘Blogger Meet” event, we bonded with fellow bloggers, learnt new tricks and came away with a few ideas on where we’re going next…. Watch this space!
When you discover gems it’s only fair to share – So here’s a few of the fabulous bloggers we bonded with and recommend checking out:
- Keeping it Fabulous – Sharron – Fashion & Lifestyle
- Funky Forty – Yvonne – Style & Fashion
- Fabulistic – Beauty & Style (awesome weaves for black hair)
- Growngals – Avril – Wellbeing & Lifestyle
- Alternative Ageing – Suzi – Fashion, Food & Fitness
- Vanity And Me – Laurie – Fashion
- The Barefaced Chic – Michelle – Fashion & Lifestyle (Welsh and wonderful)
- Artie & Eddie – Lifestyle & Travel
- Wellstyled – Siobhan – Fashion & Style
- Style Splash – Emma – Fashion
- Anna Nuttall – Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle (we met Anna outside the tube)
And too many more to keep listing, but you can view all of the wonderful bloggers on 30-40+ Blogger Meet